- Fuel your body well. A body that doesn't have what it needs to perform will be lacking in the gym. Just compare it to a car that doesn't have fuel or oil. Make sure you ate several hours before a workout but you can have a snack (with carbs and some protein) shortly before to give your body what it needs! Also hydrate well and have a snack bar / protein shake right after your workout, followed by a meal shortly after.
- Start with something fun to get you motivated
- Push yourself with intervals or compound exercises. Do high intensity intervals with short breaks or perform a lot of compound exercises (using different muscle groups at the same time) to intensify your workout.
- Keep the talking to a low. Working out with your best friend is a lot of fun and time might go fast but you are also sacrificing part of your workout with the talking. Either agree to keep it to a minimum, work out with a random person in a group class or by yourself. If you can't, maybe extend your workout or compete with your friend during the session.
- Compete with others, even if they don't know it. On cardio machines or in drills, try to pick one person and compete with him/her. You can either ask them or just do it for yourself. Try to stay in front of them or go a little faster. Just don't get hurt doing it!
- Try out new things. Don't get stuck in your same old routine. Try out something else, such as TRX Suspension Bands, Kettle Bells, yoga etc.
- Don't spend more time in the locker room than you do on the gym floor. I think this is pretty self explanatory :)
By Sander Vanacker, owner, head instructor and personal trainer .
Define Defense in Boulder, CO
- Mixed Martial Arts
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Self Defense Classes & Workshops
- Personal Training
- TRX / Cross Training Classes
- Kettle Bell
- Warrior Training
1805 11th Street Suite B
Boulder, CO 80302
Here is our tentative schedule for the fall of 2012. As you see, all programs have a great selection of classes and class times.
If you have any recommendations or comments, go on our forum and leave them there. We will be compiling and reviewing them and make any changes that are possible to accommodate your requests.