13/06/12 14:36 Filed in: Other | Strength & Conditioning | TRX / Cross Training | Martial Arts | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu | Personal Training
Sunday is Father's Day! Sometimes it can be tricky to figure out what to get your husband, dad, grandpa, godfather etc. So here are some suggestions of the Define Defense Team:
A TRX Suspension Band: These are some of the best workout tools in the world. It may look like an innocent and easy piece of equipment but it will challenge you, no matter what level you are! Many pro athletes use it and Define Defense uses the TRX Suspension Bands every day for general fitness training, rehabilitation and MMA training! If that's not cool enough, keep in mind it was invented by a Navy Seal!
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu & MMA classes: Get him a membership or a punch card for BJJ or MMA classes! Little boys love wrestling and grappling and deep inside somewhere, all men are still sort of boys. So give him a chance to learn BJJ & MMA. He will thoroughly enjoy it and learn great skills. It is a lot more than just rolling around on the ground, it's a highly tactical and intelligent ground game with many skills and techniques, call it a human chess game if you want. Plus, what do you have to lose? You get a husband that's in great shape and he can protect you better!
Self Defense: Perhaps your husband or dad has been bugging you for years since he's worried about you. Well, you know what the answer is: Take some self defense classes and take away his worries!
Cross Training / TRX classes: None of the above? No problem, get him a punch card or membership for Cross Training / TRX classes and let him pick when he comes to work out. Define Defense has 7 classes every week and no need to register beforehand. He will get a great and safe workout that will give him fantastic results. The instructors at Define Defense are very individually oriented and make sure you reach your personal goals!
Gift card: Can't decide between all these awesome choices? Well then you can just get a gift card and let him decide for himself! He can even use towards our retail products, such as boxing / MMA gloves, rash guards, pepper spray etc.
You can simply come into our studio to purchase or order something or contact us at info@DefineDefense.com
28/03/12 06:37 Filed in: Other
Our deal is live!
5 TRX / Cross Training classes for only $29! That is a 71% discount and a crazy deal. You must redeem before 5/31/12 and your 5 class punch card will be valid for 2 months after that.
Define Defense offers 7 classes every week and you can attend any of the classes at your own convenience. During these classes, you will be training with TRX suspension bands and other cutting edge equipment for a diverse and effective workout. ALL LEVELS AND AGES ARE WELCOME as we diversify our classes!
More info on the TRX classes.
30/11/11 15:33 Filed in: Other | Fitness | My experiences | Strength & Conditioning | Personal Training
Cross training is one of the best ways to get in shape while working pretty much all of your muscle groups. If done right, you can accomplish different goals by training in different ways. You will get stronger, faster and your cardio will improve. By fine tuning your cross training workout, you can also lose weight or gain muscle (or both).
The way we do cross training at Define Defense in our strength and conditioning classes is by working all muscle groups with short rests between different stations. By working all muscle groups, we end up burning many calories and we challenge all muscles, which makes them adapt and improve. We have different formulas we use in different classes but we always make sure our training methods have clear reasoning behind them and these are backed by our knowledge in physiology, anatomy etc. In our strength and conditioning classes, we also make sure everyone is working at their own level and they are training to reach the goal they want. That is why we like to call it personal training in a small group. After all, the same exercises and training will NEVER work the same for different people.
Our classes are a full hour training session, 6 times/week starting in January 2012 (depending on a membership or punch card, you choose whenever and how many times you want to attend!) As for now, we have 3 classes/week.
Cross training can be done in several ways as mentioned, however there are many brands that do it in a very irresponsible and dangerous manner. Safety always comes first but unfortunately some brands do not make this a priority.
A few experiences I have had (outside of Define Defense):
- 15 minute workouts that make you breathe hard, sweat and make you feel like passing out. These workouts may feel hard (and they are), but they will NOT do anything for you, except to deteriorate your body. You do not get any rest, you do too many exercises in a small time frame, something that occasionally can be beneficial for a trained athlete but not for the average person wanting to improve or live healthier. Since there is no rest, your muscles will not grow, ever... For cardio purposes it is not long enough either and pushing yourself that hard every workout is unhealthy, period. If a 15 minute workout would do what they claim it does, everybody would be a professional athlete. But it doesn't! Any trainer can push you that hard for 15 minutes but it's not a good thing.
- Making the clients do compound exercises without warmup and for too many reps. Compound exercises are fantastic for anabolic growth, burning calories and general strength and health. However, if you become fatigued, your form and technique will deteriorate, especially with technically challenging exercises. These need perfect form as they can be hazardous for your body. I have seen studios that made their clients do tens of these compound exercises at a time (with horrible form).
- Dirty, dirty and dirty to a point my lungs burned and my hands were black. OK this one is place determined but it's a big no-no!
- Having to sign a waiver that states they are not liable if you get hospitalized with Rhabdo. Really??? Sounds shady to me and with responsible training (even pushing limits), you should never experience this!
- Unqualified trainers: some brands are franchised which means that if you do a one day workshop, you are allowed to open a branch. Great isn't it? Not really... It takes years to master training others and being certified after one day is simply dangerous.
You would be surprised how much these kinds of situations happen or how many cross training studios build their businesses on these irresponsible strategies.
At Define Defense, we strive towards quality and responsible training for optimal results and the safety of our clients. That is why we are expanding our strength & conditioning program to 6 classes/week starting January, 2012!
All our martial arts clients have free access. Non members can also enjoy these great cross training classes by purchasing a punch card or getting a strength & conditioning membership. Our classes are 60 minute workouts with a lot of personal attention and cutting edge gym equipment (see our facility). We utilize back to basic exercises as well as the latest proven methods in the fitness world. We will push you and make you better, that's a promise. Besides your training, we also educate you about the reasons behind the training.
Our pricing structure:
- A 10 class punch card for $200
- A 12 month membership for $85/month (unlimited classes)
- A 6 month membership for $95/month (unlimited classes)
- A 3 month membership for $110/month (unlimited classes)
Stay tuned for our new schedule (starting January 2nd, 2012) and take advantage of the strength & conditioning classes!
By Sander Vanacker, owner of Define Defense Martial Arts & Training in Boulder, Colorado