11/09/13 08:43 Filed in: Fitness | Strength & Conditioning | TRX / Cross Training | Kettle Bell | Personal Training | Trainer Vanacker
People have different goals for their personal health and fitness levels. Our classes are designed so you have a predetermined structure to get in shape BUT you can focus on your individual goals. Our coaches are always ready to guide and inform you on how to make slight changes so you are working at your own level, specifically to accomplish your own goals.
When training, it is vital to work at your own level and gradually break through wall and plateaus. However, your body needs to be challenged in order to improve. If you don't, there will be no progress. We don’t do easy. Easy is sitting in the couch with a bag of potato chips and that will unfortunately never help, neither will 15 minute workouts. Incorrect information and lack of effort is why so many individuals are obese and have health problems. We won’t lie, we will challenge you but our coaches care about your wellbeing and progress and are there to guide you.
What you can expect to happen when taking our classes:
1. You will quickly find out what shape you are in. We have people coming in who rock it in their first class. We also have people who struggle (even though they work out regularly). And that's fine! We are here to help and coach you so you reach your goals and empower yourself. One client's story tells us that her first class was a huge slap in the face and a tear rolled over her cheek when leaving. Now her strength has gone up tremendously, she lost over 5% body fat in less than 3 months and there is no stopping her! It is good to know what level you are on, false confidence doesn't help you.
2. You will realize how strong you can be. Our instructors strive to be the best examples possible and if we can do it, you can as well! We are not super heroes, body builders, ultra marathon runners or olympic gymnasts but don't underestimate us. We want to be your example and show you what you can do with some discipline and hard work.
3. You will learn a ton of knowledge! We don't only want you to do the exercises and drills. We want you to understand why. You will learn terminology, some anatomy and physiology. Don't worry, we're not going to be your professor but as you go, you will learn and that's very beneficial for you in the long run.
4. You will start to understand what causes injuries and injury prevention. Our coaches' priority is making sure you get stronger and don't get hurt. We are very successful in doing so. We have never had any serious injuries occur in our classes and want to keep it that way! However to do that, we want our clients to understand what is good for the body, what is not and how to adjust drills, exercises and movements. You will start to understand how to make changes to benefit your own safety and health. Don't worry, we know that takes time and we got your back!
5. You will get really good in timing your efforts. Since we use time frames and rep drills to create some of our workouts, you will get a great sense of timing and pacing. You will be amazed what difference this makes.
6. You will understand what cardio is really about. When you do our cross training classes, your stamina and endurance will improve tremendously. We are not talking about running 500 yards at a medium pace, this is a whole different type of cardio. You'll see. Don't worry, we all work at our own level but you will experience a great difference after a while in any activity you do, including in your daily life.
7. You might gain weight at first. Don't worry, this is temporarily and does not reflect anything bad! When you start working out heavy, you body might retain everything and hold more water. This is not a big deal. After a while, you will gain some muscle and lose body fat (depending on your diet of course). Ladies no worries, you will NOT look like a body builder. This is a completely different type of training and lifestyle. You will get stronger and gain some muscle which will greatly improve your health, looks and injury prevention. It is also very important if you want to tone up (combined with loss of body fat %). After all, strong is the new sexy! Just remember: if you see the scale go up, don't go crazy. Just dump that freaking scale!
8. You will become more energized, even after a hard workout. You will become so confident and happy that you will start to enjoy hard workouts and look forward to them! Your body will become more efficient and energized.
9. You will learn more about yourself and how mentally strong you are. When you feel like stopping or you're tired, you will learn to keep going and work through it. We do not encourage giving up, unless there is a reason for it. When you're tired and challenged, you will learn more about who you really are. Again, safety is our primary concern but we will push you and see what you're made of. That is how you get better. That is how champions are made. That is how you will make the changes you want so badly.
10. Finally, prepare for some serious progress! Our instructors are good at what they do and we have the best equipment. This combined with personal attention will give you the opportunity to get better. Remember though: We open the door but you have to enter it.
By Sander Vanacker
Owner / Head Trainer Define Defense
- Personal Training
- TRX / Cross Training Classes
- Kettle Bell
- Bootcamp Program
- Warrior Training
- Self Defense Classes & Workshops
- Mixed Martial Arts & No Gi Jiu Jitsu
1805 11th Street Suite B
Boulder, CO 80302
30/11/11 15:33 Filed in: Other | Fitness | My experiences | Strength & Conditioning | Personal Training
Cross training is one of the best ways to get in shape while working pretty much all of your muscle groups. If done right, you can accomplish different goals by training in different ways. You will get stronger, faster and your cardio will improve. By fine tuning your cross training workout, you can also lose weight or gain muscle (or both).
The way we do cross training at Define Defense in our strength and conditioning classes is by working all muscle groups with short rests between different stations. By working all muscle groups, we end up burning many calories and we challenge all muscles, which makes them adapt and improve. We have different formulas we use in different classes but we always make sure our training methods have clear reasoning behind them and these are backed by our knowledge in physiology, anatomy etc. In our strength and conditioning classes, we also make sure everyone is working at their own level and they are training to reach the goal they want. That is why we like to call it personal training in a small group. After all, the same exercises and training will NEVER work the same for different people.
Our classes are a full hour training session, 6 times/week starting in January 2012 (depending on a membership or punch card, you choose whenever and how many times you want to attend!) As for now, we have 3 classes/week.
Cross training can be done in several ways as mentioned, however there are many brands that do it in a very irresponsible and dangerous manner. Safety always comes first but unfortunately some brands do not make this a priority.
A few experiences I have had (outside of Define Defense):
- 15 minute workouts that make you breathe hard, sweat and make you feel like passing out. These workouts may feel hard (and they are), but they will NOT do anything for you, except to deteriorate your body. You do not get any rest, you do too many exercises in a small time frame, something that occasionally can be beneficial for a trained athlete but not for the average person wanting to improve or live healthier. Since there is no rest, your muscles will not grow, ever... For cardio purposes it is not long enough either and pushing yourself that hard every workout is unhealthy, period. If a 15 minute workout would do what they claim it does, everybody would be a professional athlete. But it doesn't! Any trainer can push you that hard for 15 minutes but it's not a good thing.
- Making the clients do compound exercises without warmup and for too many reps. Compound exercises are fantastic for anabolic growth, burning calories and general strength and health. However, if you become fatigued, your form and technique will deteriorate, especially with technically challenging exercises. These need perfect form as they can be hazardous for your body. I have seen studios that made their clients do tens of these compound exercises at a time (with horrible form).
- Dirty, dirty and dirty to a point my lungs burned and my hands were black. OK this one is place determined but it's a big no-no!
- Having to sign a waiver that states they are not liable if you get hospitalized with Rhabdo. Really??? Sounds shady to me and with responsible training (even pushing limits), you should never experience this!
- Unqualified trainers: some brands are franchised which means that if you do a one day workshop, you are allowed to open a branch. Great isn't it? Not really... It takes years to master training others and being certified after one day is simply dangerous.
You would be surprised how much these kinds of situations happen or how many cross training studios build their businesses on these irresponsible strategies.
At Define Defense, we strive towards quality and responsible training for optimal results and the safety of our clients. That is why we are expanding our strength & conditioning program to 6 classes/week starting January, 2012!
All our martial arts clients have free access. Non members can also enjoy these great cross training classes by purchasing a punch card or getting a strength & conditioning membership. Our classes are 60 minute workouts with a lot of personal attention and cutting edge gym equipment (see our facility). We utilize back to basic exercises as well as the latest proven methods in the fitness world. We will push you and make you better, that's a promise. Besides your training, we also educate you about the reasons behind the training.
Our pricing structure:
- A 10 class punch card for $200
- A 12 month membership for $85/month (unlimited classes)
- A 6 month membership for $95/month (unlimited classes)
- A 3 month membership for $110/month (unlimited classes)
Stay tuned for our new schedule (starting January 2nd, 2012) and take advantage of the strength & conditioning classes!
By Sander Vanacker, owner of Define Defense Martial Arts & Training in Boulder, Colorado